Monday, January 29, 2007

I had a flash back today. I was telling a friend how I did not like to be put under general anesthesia, and I remembered my surgery from almost a year ago. As I sat there in the waiting room, trying to read while my pre-surgery valium was kicking in, I had no idea what was in store for me.

The most unsettling part was post-surgery upon realizing that the numbness in my lips and gums was not going to wear off. I tried everything I could think of to "wake it up." When I bit down hard on my lip, I could only feel just the slightest bit of pressure. The left side of my tongue was also numb. Not good.

I researched this strange numbness and soon realized that I was actually one of the lucky ones. Many people suffer from nerve injuries that cause them debilitating pain. My heart goes out to all of them. I actually felt selfish for obsessing over the fact that I had to constantly wipe my chin when I ate, not knowing if I was dribbling food or water.

I came to welcome the tingling, or electrical feeling in my lips and chin. These were positive signs that my nerves were trying hard to reconnect. Sometimes, I experienced shooting pains.
NerveFix

offered incredible relief with these bothersome symptoms.

2 Comments:

At December 21, 2009 6:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

So a feeling of tingling/slight burning is a sign that the anaesthetic is wearing off/recovering?
I only ask because my lower lips and chin are still numb but slightly tingly at 10:30 pm after a wisdom teeth removal at about 8-9 ish in the morning.

 
At July 08, 2010 8:27 PM , Blogger Helder Pinto said...

I'm glad you got well.

I'm about to get both my lower wisdom teeth removed, and I've been reading about this nerve and it's scaring the hell out of me, even tho statistics say it's only 1% chance

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home