Thursday, November 30, 2006

Yes, I recovered 100% from my nerve injury. I have complete sensation in my tongue, chin, lips and gums. And it no longer feels as if there is a vice grip on my lower teeth.

I am not sure what percentage of people recover fully, but I have been told that the vast majority of IAN damage sufferers do recover. If the nerve has been severed, surgery is recommended to reconnect it, however, in most cases, the nerve is simply bruised.

A publication from the University of Barcelona concluded that most patients recovered within 6 months. Age was found to be the largest risk factor.

Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2005 Mar;99(3):259-64.
Incidence and evolution of inferior alveolar nerve lesions following lower third molar extraction.
Queral-Godoy E, Valmaseda-Castellon E, Berini-Aytes L, Gay-Escoda C.

School of Dentistry of the University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.

OBJECTIVES: To calculate the incidence of inferior alveolar nerve (IAN) damage due to lower third molar extraction and to describe the evolution of IAN sensitivity and the prognosis of IAN damage based on preoperative data. STUDY DESIGN: A retrospective study of 4995 lower third molar extractions in 3513 outpatients. RESULTS: Fifty-five extractions (1.1%) resulted in IAN impairment. Cox regression analysis showed age to be a risk factor for the persistence of IAN injury due to lower third molar extraction. The sensation recovery rate was higher in the first 3 months. Fifty percent of the patients showed full recovery after 6 months. CONCLUSIONS: Most cases of IAN impairment following lower third molar extraction recover within 6 months, though in some cases recovery takes more than 1 year. Older patients are at an increased risk of incomplete recovery of chin and lip sensibility after third molar extraction.

PMID: 15716829 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

4 Comments:

At February 18, 2009 7:23 AM , Blogger The Life of a Superfox said...

Hi, your blog is amazing. It has given me hope. I had my impacted wisdom tooth removed last Sunday, and am currently suffering from paresthesia. The annoying part is that my dentist is being a total ass, not being transparent with me when it comes to my current condition. So I had to consult another dentist and did research on my own. I am 25, and am positive that I will get better in less than a month. Just to let you know, I didn't feel this way prior to stumbling upon your blog. I swear I just felt paranoid and hopeless. But you really gave me hope. Thanks! And I am going to start taking the supplements you mentioned in your other blog entry. Many thanks!

 
At February 27, 2009 6:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

How long did it take for you to recover from your nerve injury? I was injured during a injection for a filling and the right side of my tongue has been numb for over a month :( I am taking Vitamin B-12, B-complex, and nerve fix. The nerve fix is helping it feel better but if I run out and don't get more I can feel a huge difference in the numbess. Just wondering how long it took for your recovery since you recovered 100%.
Thanks

 
At June 22, 2010 10:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

what age increases risk?

 
At September 14, 2010 10:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have dysthethesia from a dental injection, which is kind of the opposite of parasthesia - hypersensitivity and pain vs. numbness and lack of taste. Going into my 9th month now and although it's improved, it is still a daily struggle, one requiring medication. See lingualnerveinjury.blogspot.com. Best of luck to all of you in your recovery!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home